What is Systems Thinking? Vaughn Vernon and Diana Montalion discuss how this form of thinking can help software architects. Developing this skill enables us to transform feature-driven software development (or any linear thinking process) into systems design and development (or anything requiring systemic thinking.)
What we think and talk about … is what we will build.— Quote from the podcast
Topics we cover:
- What is linear thinking? How does that contrast with nonlinear (systems) thinking? How is it related to pattern thinking?
- Why this matters: what we think and talk about … is what we we build.
- Systemic challenges aren’t just in tech, we are facing them in many areas of everyday life.
- What is a “good” discussion in a systems design and architecture effort?
- What is the mindset we need to participate in architectural discussions and systemic reasoning?
- How business thinking isn’t “outside” of engineering and why we need to integrate them.
- Why is systems thinking so important — right now — for software?
- What does Vaughn mean by “anything you can do, I can do metta” and why is it relevant to thinking?